Saturday 21 July 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream (19/07/2012)



Runs through September 5th 2012
I pray thee, gentle mortal, let me see it again! 




My my. A darker version of what is often treated as a light play, immersing its audience in the sexual side of the faeries. The set is a surprise - thing Big-fat-gypsy-wedding  and you're halfway there - and the costumes - both of the Faeries (Oberon and Puck stood out for me) are stunning. Well thought out and at times hilarious (keep an eye on Lysander) they're just one of the many gorgeous parts of the play. 
George Bukhari (Piggy, Lord of the Flies, Last year) Is brilliant as bottom, Hilarious as the Mechanical's lead actor in a show stopping (and utterly delightful) Pyramus and Thisbe. I'll be perfectly honest it made me laugh so hard my jaw cracked and I couldn't physically move for ten minutes. 
Visually it is a stunning production, and Jon Bausor shines again at the OaT with the surprisingly gorgeous forest (given the immersive opening on a building site). Helena and Lysander were probably the best portrayed of the four comic leads, though *H-*Hermia was not far behind. 
This is a production of a Shakespeare play which many know and love that takes a risk and doesn't fall flat. From the opening throughout the end, I enjoyed watching something I thought I knew bought to life in a way that I never imagined. 
Also, a shout out to the weather, which held up like I've never seen it hold during a summer like ours. 
Check it out, bruv.

No comments:

Post a Comment